Board of Adjustment monthly meetings are held on the 4th Monday of the month at 5 p.m. on an as-needed basis.
The Board performs the following duties:
- To hear and decide appeals when error is alleged in any order, requirement, decision or determination made by an administrative official in enforcement of the zoning and building code.
- To hear and decide Special Exceptions to the terms of the Code in appropriate cases and subject to appropriate conditions and safeguards. Special Exceptions must be consistent with the general purpose and intent of the Code and in accordance with any applicable rules contained in the Code.
- To authorize on appeal, variances from terms of the Code that will not be contrary to the public interest, when because of special conditions a literal enforcement of the Code will result in unnecessary hardship, so the spirit of the Code will be observed and substantial justice done.
- Additional duties may be assigned by the City Council as deemed necessary in pursuit of the spirit and intent of the Code.
The Board of Adjustment hears and decides appeals when error is alleged in any order, requirement, decision or determination made by an administrative official in enforcement of the act or zoning ordinance.
- The Board shall make special exceptions as allowed or required by the zoning ordinances, in appropriate cases and subject to appropriate conditions and safeguards, in harmony with the general purpose and intent, and in accordance with general or specific rules contained in the various city ordinances.
- Shall authorize, on appeal, variances from the terms of the ordinances that will not be contrary to the public interest, when, because of special conditions a literal enforcement of the ordinance will result in unnecessary hardship, so the spirit of the ordinance will be observed and substantial justice done.
Prior to granting a variance, the Board shall find that at least one of the following shall be found:
- There are extraordinary and exceptional conditions pertaining to the particular property in question because of its size, shape, or topography.
- The application of this appendix to the particular property would create an unnecessary hardship.
- Such conditions are peculiar to the particular piece of property involved.
- Relief, if granted, would not cause substantial detriment to the public good or impair the purpose and intent of the Zoning Code; provided however, that no variance may be granted for a use of land or building or structure that is prohibited by the Zoning Code.
- Uses not provided for in Article 3: Whenever, in any district established under the Zoning Code, a use is neither specifically permitted nor denied, and an application is made by a property for such use, the application shall be referred to the Board of Adjustment, which shall have the authority to permit the use or deny the use. The use may be permitted if it is similar to and compatible with permitted uses in the district and in no way is in conflict with the general purpose and intent of this appendix.
Procedures on filing an Appeal to Board
The appellant must file a with the City Secretary and the official from whom the appeal is taken a notice of appeal specifying the grounds for the appeal and pay a filing fee as may be prescribed by the City Council. An appeal (Board of Adjustment Appeals Application) by a person aggrieved by an action of an administrative or building official in the enforcement of this appendix shall be filed with the City Secretary within 30 days after the action complained of was committed. On receiving the notice, the City Secretary and administrative or building official shall transmit to the Board all the papers constituting the record of the action that is appealed.
The Board shall give public notice of the hearing and due notice to the parties in interest. A party may appear at the appeal hearing in person or by agent or attorney. The Board shall decide the appeal within a 60-day period from the filing of the appeal.
Membership and appointment
The Board of Adjustment is composed of five qualified electors of the city, and appointed by the City Council. Two alternate members may also be appointed by the City Council to serve when one or more regular members are absent. Alternate members will have all rights and privileges when serving in the place of a regular member who is absent. The City Council will consider for appointment to the Commission persons who have demonstrated their civic interest, general knowledge of the community, independent judgment, interest in planning and zoning, and availability to prepare for and attend meetings. It is the intent of the City Council that members shall, by reason of diversity of their individual occupations, constitute a board which is broadly representative of the community.
Terms of office
Members of the Board of Adjustment appointed for staggered two (2) year terms.
If you are interested in serving on the Board of Adjustment, please complete a Board and Commission Application.
|Henry Hannasch||Alternate||June 2018|
|Shana Halpin||Alternate||June 2018|
|David Sellars||Alternate||June 2018|
|Bennie Cass||Alternate||June 2018|
|Suzanne de Leon||Member||June 2018|
|Stephen Lara||Member||June 2018|
|Miguel Valverde||Member||June 2018|
|Jack Burton||Member||June 2018|
|Lamar Gillian||Member||June 2018|
|Charles White||Member||June 2018|
For more information, please contact Rita Hoyl, Community Development Director, 210.735.9148 x246