Commercial and Residential Permits and Reviews
The following includes information on city regulations and requirements for application of building permits and plan review. The City is currently utilizing, with amendments, the 2015 International Building Code, 2014 National Electric Code, 2015 International Existing Building Code, International Residential Code, 2009 International Energy Conservation Code, International Mechanical Code and International Plumbing Code.
When do I need a permit?
Unless the work or repair being completed is purely cosmetic you should always assume a permit is required. Cosmetic works includes but is not limited to: painting, re-carpeting, tile work or changing out basic plumbing or electric fixtures
Any owner or authorized agent who intends to demolish, construct, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, correct or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the 2015 International Codes, or to cause any such work to be done shall obtain the required permit.
Contractors and subcontractors are required to complete and submit a Contractor’s Registration Application and submit application with applicable fee, Certificate of Insurance issued to the City of Balcones Heights the amount of $1,000,000, State License, and Driver’s License prior to issuance of any construction permits.
The following list may not include every project requiring a permit, so please contact the Community Development Department for inquiries.
- Structural (includes foundation repairs)
- Roofing – new, reroof or repair
- Plumbing – including excavation and/or trenching of water, sewer, and or gas service systems, water heaters and water softener systems
- Fire protection systems
- Irrigation systems/Backflows
- Swimming pools – above and in-ground type, and spas/Jacuzzi
- Fences – new installation, replacement or repair
- Signs (including temporary signs/banners)
- Flatwork or Paving
- Accessory buildings or structures – i.e., storage sheds, greenhouses, gazebos, bath/pool houses, carports, decks, patios
- Window installation/replacement
The number and order of inspections may vary based on the extent and type of project. Inspections must be requested and scheduled through the Community Development Department at 210.957-3545 or email@example.com not later than 4:00 p.m. the day before you require the inspection. Upon arrival of the inspector, if project is not ready or incomplete a failed inspection will be issued and a re-inspection fee assessed.
Please see below for Permit Applications.
Certificate of Occupancy and Business Registration
A Certificate of Occupancy and Business Registration is required prior to occupying a building or lease space. You must complete the Certificate of Occupancy Application and submit with applicable fee. Please refer to the Fee Schedule. A Sales & Use Tax Permit issued by the Texas State Comptroller’s Office may be required if your business will be collecting Sales Tax. Permit must indicate business address in Balcones Heights, Texas. Upon receiving the application and fee we will review for proper zoning and use of the building or lease space. We will schedule a building inspection, and if approved by the Building Inspector the Fire Marshall will perform their inspection. If applicable, upon receipt of a Food Establishment Permit Application, a Health Inspection will be conducted and if all approved you will be issued a Certificate of Occupancy and Food Establishment Permit.
New Permit Application
- Alarm (Commerical) System License Application
- Alarm (Residential) Application - Printable Application
- Home Occupations Application
- Fire Protection System Application
- Food Establishment License Application
- Massage Therapist Permit Application - Printable Application
- Massage Business Permit Application - Printable Application
- Permit Application
- Peddler's Permit Application
- Public Swimming Pool Application